June 2020, our current class is full. The next class will be February 2021 with information available in January 2021.
Montana Drivers Education
Montana's school districts offer quality state-approved driver education that includes traffic safety, parent/guardian involvement, and Graduated Driver Licensing (GDL). The Traffic Education Unit approves instructors and school-based programs to ensure Montana standards and requirements are met. Teens who successfully complete a state-approved driver education course in Montana have at least:
- 60 hours of traffic education instruction including 6 hours of behind-the-wheel in-traffic instruction.
- A minimum of 25 days of instruction taught by a state-approved traffic educator.
- The opportunity to study for and take the Learner License knowledge exam and receive a Learner License during the traffic education course.
- Online driver education courses are not approved.
- Download the booklet Traffic Education Standards & Requirements for detailed information on Montana's traffic education programs.Wade VanNess
Students must be 14 1/2 years old at the start of class. Typical classes last 4-6 weeks. Classes are after school and drives are after school and weekends. The cost of the course is $260. Florence-Carlton High School offers 2 sessions throughout the year. The Winter session begins in Feburary, Summer Session begins in June. Registration is done on-line approximately 1 month prior to the start of the class.
Florence-Carlton school will offer a Traffic Education course based on FCS Board Policy 2163. Classes will begin June 22nd, each class is limited to 30 students.
· There will be a Parent meeting the first day of class.
· Use this link to register
· Students must be 14 ½ by the first day of class. A copy of the student’s birth certificate is required if not on file.
· Registration is open to students who (1) live within the geographic boundaries of the public school district, whether or not they are enrolled in the public school district or (2) are enrolled in the school district as an out of district student. If space allows additional students will be registered in the following order.
· Those living out of district and not enrolled in FCS.
· Students are scheduled by age, with the oldest student having first priority.
· Registration does not ensure enrollment into the course. The date/time stamp on the registration will be used for determining enrollment after the requirements above have been fullfilled and in the event of a tie.
· Students who meet the criteria above will be notified of enrollment via phone and email. Once you have been accepted payment of $260.00 must be received by the high school office. Students who have not paid by the deadline will be removed to allow room for students on the waiting list.
· If you have questions about class content, dates or driving contact Fred Simonson 642-6640.