Foster Care Notice, Under Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)Posted by Alli Bristow on 11/6/2019 12:05:00 AM
Eligible Student Rights Title 1 part A Foster Care Notice, Under Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
- Attend school in the attendance area where they are currently living.
- When in the best interest of the child, attend the school of origin (the school they attended at the time they entered care), or the school in which they were last enrolled.
- Immediate enrollment and support from district Foster Care Liaison in obtaining school records and coordinating services.
- Receive transportation to their school, if necessary.
- Free school meals.
- Services for English Language Learners, Special Education, and/or Gifted Education.
- Receive tutoring services focusing on academic assistance.
- Support with on-time grade progression and graduation of students.
Sec. 1112(c)(5) collaborate with the State or local child welfare agency to— (A) designate a point of contact if the corresponding child welfare agency notifies the local educational agency, in writing, that the agency has designated an employee to serve as a point of contact for the local educational agency; and (B) by not later than 1 year after the date of enactment of the Every Student Succeeds Act, develop and implement clear written procedures governing how transportation to maintain children in foster care in their school of origin when in their best interest will be provided, arranged, and funded for the duration of the time in foster care, which procedures shall— (i) ensure that children in foster care needing transportation to the school of origin will promptly receive transportation in a cost-effective manner and in accordance with section 475(4)(A) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 675(4)(A)); and (ii) ensure that, if there are additional costs incurred in providing transportation to maintain children in foster care in their schools of origin, the local educational agency will provide transportation to the school of origin if— (I) the local child welfare agency agrees to reimburse the local educational agency for the cost of such transportation; (II) the local educational agency agrees to pay for the cost of such transportation; or (III) the local educational agency and the local child welfare agency agree to share the cost of such transportation; Every Student Succeeds Act (2015)
Foster Care Liason For Florence-Carlton School District- Alli Bristow, Middle School Counselor at 406-273-0587 ex 3300 or firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information https://opi.mt.gov/Neglected-Delinquent-Youth-Foster-Care-Families-Students