1) Say the word. (Remember when you have heard the word used. Think about what it means.)
2) Look at the word. (Find any word parts you know. Close your eyes to picture the word in your head. How many letters are in the word?
3) Spell the word out loud two times.
4) Write the word while you are looking at it. (Check the way you have formed your letters. If you have not written the word clearly or correctly, write it again.)
5) Check what you have learned. (Cover the word and write it. If you have not spelled the word correctly, practice these steps until you can write it correctly every time.)
*Some students find it very helpful to type their spelling words on the computer.